Telephone: 0208 293 0737

Austrian blind: This type of blind has several rows of rings sewn on the back. When blind is open a scalloped effect is formed along the bottom.

Architrave: Wooden surround of a window or door.

Bed valance: A decorative, made to measure, cover for a divan base.

Blackout lining: Dense heavy lining that blocks light.

Braid: A woven ribbon for trimming or edging curtains, cushions & other accessories.

Cleat: Type of hook used to hold open a Roman, Austrian, London or Festoon blind.

Double pleat: Double pleats are formed by pinching fabric twice. This is a good alternative to a triple pleat.

Drop heading: Also know as stand-up heading. Creates a frill at the top of the curtains.

Drop weight: Can also be called an acorn. It is a weight tied to the end of the blind cord.

Cartridge pleat: A cartridge pleat is a stuffed rounded single pleat.

Chain system: This is an alternative to using string to operate blinds & does not require a cleat or drop weight.

Eyelets: Eyelets are an alternative to pleats. They are metal rivets that are “punched” into the top of curtains allowing a pole to run though.

Festoon blind: This is similar to an Austrian blind but with additional vertical gathers.

French pleat: Also know as pinch or triple pleat.

Fringe: A decorative edging with hanging threads or tassels.

Holdback: Metal or wooden decorative bracket used for holding back curtains. Used as an alternative to tie-backs.

Interlining: A soft yet thick fabric that adds bulk to and improves the drape of curtains, pelmets, swags & tails. It also acts as a layer of insulation.

Inverted pleat: Reversed single pleat.

Lining: Plain cotton available in a ranged of colours used as a backing for curtains blinds etc. Helps with the drape of the curtains & protects the fabric from sun damage.

London blind: This is a fuller blind that has inverted pleats creating a swag & tail effect.

Pattern repeat: Length of the pattern before it repeats itself.

Pelmet: An upholstered piece of wood fitted at the top of the window used to support curtain track.

Piping: Decorative edging to a “finish” cushions, pelmets & tie-backs. Can be used as well as or instead of trim.

Pinch pleat: Also know as triple or French pleat.

Roman blind: This is a flat piece of material with horizontal rods allowing blind to open in folds.

Venetian blinds: These blinds can be made from wood or metal.

Window valance: A pleated decorative band of fabric that hangs at the top of the curtains or blind to hide curtain track.

Single: Single pleats are formed by pinching fabric once.

Swags & tails: This is the design style that most people associate with grand ballrooms, elegant dining rooms as well as stately homes. Swags and tails are surprisingly versatile and are easily adapted.

Rope/tassel tie-backs: used as an alternative to fabric tie-backs.

Tie-backs: A decorative band of fabric used to hold open curtains.

Triple pleat: Also know as Pinch or French.